Friday 3 August 2012

For The Love Of Music

I was left teary today and the day before by clips from godvine.com. Yesterday, it was a video of an eleven year old boy who did a rendition of Beyonce's 'Listen' and today, a few other young performers. What struck a chord in all the performances was the depth of the voices of those singers. 


I'm a sucker for good voices. I can't help myself. Beneath my gritty and manly core is a hopelessly unrepentant lover of good voices. If the voice is real, deep and pure enough, it will evoke tears. That's how powerful music can be.


'Music has charms to sooth a savage beast, to soften rocks or bend a knotted oak' - William Congreve.


I am not talking about good beats. I am talking about pure soulful and soul-moving music. I am talking about voices only comparable to those of angels. I am talking of extremely deep renditions and compositions, that make you quiet and reflective.


I am talking about the Dione Warwicks, the Aretha Franklins, the Whitney Houstons, the Marvin Gayes, the Toni Braxtons, the Micheal Jacksons, the Gerald Leverts and Lionel Richies. The vocally endowed fellows who rocked the eighties and early nineties. They make you sing along and learn lyrics by heart. They sang to your soul and every line felt- and still feels-  like they had known you all their life.


Music is the food and language of the soul. Music is an art, probably the finest of all arts. Music is therapy. It transcends climes, creeds, age and color. If the voice is good, it is good. I don't care who the singer is, my auditory nerves perceive beyond the instruments, I'm picking the notes, bridges, lyrics, adlibs and delivery.  I do it, for the love of music.


I must state at this point that I am by no means an expert when it comes to music. I neither sing nor compose music. But, I have fully functional auditory senses and I can hear. I also know some voices settle kindly on my eardrums and my heart whilst some others are perversely obnoxious, even if the are commercially viable.


Music is a clear form of art. You either have it or you don't. It may be learnt over time but it can't be forced and there must be some iota of talent in the first place. I am referring to songbirds like Beyonce Knowles, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Neyo,Mary J.Blige, Robert Kelly, Sade and Brandy. I mean vocally loaded men and women who make your heart flutter and are exceptionally talented. With music and I, there is no room for mediocrity. I don't joke with my music.


Music is beautiful. It is spiritual and it is itself a spirit. A free, freeing and ubiquitous spirit. Music is passion. It breathes and it grows. Music is life. I am referring to Fantasia, Alexandra Burke, Emeli Sande, Adele, Chris Brown, Asa, Adol, Keri Hilson,Waje, John Legend, Jennifer Hudson, GT the Guitarman, Bruno Mars, etc. They are the present and the future is bright.  I'm not talking about Mo'Cheddah's auto-tune. I'm not talking about Goldie's bizarre antics in her albums. I'm not talking of KSB or Essence's shrilling. I'm not talking about Davido or D'banj's 'swag'. I'm also not referring to D'Prince's insignificant and dispensable I.Q or Terry G's unkempt and eerily filthy dreadlocks. I am referring to the depth and quality of voices belonging to Darey, Praiz and Lara George. Pure and unadulterated talent. Like my friend says 'Voices with NAFDAC number'.


My people say a Goldfish has no hiding place. If you can sing, develop it. Sing like your life depends on it. I know a few regular people who sing wonderfully. They don't have their breaks yet. Music is a mere pastime for them. They have voices of angels. One of such people is a certain Olaitan, she's Lagbaja's new lead vocalist. Watch out for her. There are so many others.


The music reality shows are flourishing now. We've had fantastic singers. I remember the fourth season of MTN ProjectFame, when I cried like a baby when I heard Kesse sing Asa's 'Beautiful' or when Chidinma did her hits from Ms Whitney Houston. Remember Omawumni, Jodie, Timi Dakolo, Mike Anyasodo, Iyanya? Certainly, vocal talent is one of God's biggest gifts to the human race.


Unfortunately, there's a clear line between doing good music and selling records. They do not always translate to each other. While I appreciate the need to make commercially viable music, I must appeal to the custodians of the future of our music to stay in touch with the reasons why they fell in love with music. Music is beautiful. Let's leave it exclusive to the aforementioned folks. Let's shut Goldie,D'Prince and their ilk out forever. Yes, when you fail, you should try again. But, when you have no gene of talent whatsoever in your heritage or anatomy, trying and trying over again will amount to nothing. Efforts in futility. Only comparable to beating a very dead horse.


Parents, encourage your kids to learn music. Early vocal training is good for a child who shows promise at a young age. Encourage them to join Church choirs. Yes, Timaya and Terry G also say they started from one Church Choir or the other. They all claim they 'started singing before they crawled as babies'. Only God knows all. Also encourage them to learn as many musical instruments as they can. Musical people are happy people.


I compiled a playlist just before I started writing. Song after song, I'm taken into realms only good vocals and music can take a mortal to. It is surely a gratifying experience. 


Music is easy to love. Just listen.



2 comments:

  1. Music is amazing! I think pretty much everyone loves music... Segun, London

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music music I loveeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is essential to me.

Kindly take a second to drop a comment...

There's also a 'SHARE' button you can use.