Friday 15 June 2012

A FEW GOOD MEN (2)

Just seven weeks ago,I penned my thoughts about MP Farouk Lawan and the fuel subsidy probe. Seven weeks suddenly feels like decades ago. The enthralling drama that has unfolded in the last week has completely rendered that article almost null & void.


While I wrote that article, I silently hoped and prayed the next time I would  mention Lawan's name was when big shots in the petroleum industry were pleading 'Guilty' or otherwise in a Southcrown Court London. Alas, I would hear and speak of Lawan in the most unwholesome manner only two months later. This I find not just disturbing but also befuddling.

I was recently passionately accused of being 'too pessimistic and cynical in a tacky way' by a professional colleague. Her argument was that I lacked discretion as to when to speak objectively and that sometimes, my cynicism was almost damning. It was in the wake of the ill-fated Dana flight on Sunday, June 3 2012, so I assumed the emotional distress and trauma was getting to most Nigerians and thus appreciated her perspective. That however does not change the facts of the matter, Nigerians killed Nigerians that Sunday.

After the Otdeola-Lawan story made headlines, I was forced to read again the article I wrote seven weeks ago and two paragraphs struck me and they really just summarize this second epistle.

The first is '....Again, my appreciation to Farouk Lawan for his sterling performance. I was almost tempted to believe again in this country but I will choose to err on the side of caution. I still remain cynical, unrepentantly so'.

The second is  '....My only reservation is his association with the bandwagon of robbers in the PDP. He has, however, somehow managed to remain flea-free even though he lies with dogs'.

Farouk Lawan has not particularly disappointed me, as they say 'He who is down, fears no fall'. Even though he managed to deceive me for a few weeks, the cynic in me was looking behind his shoulders. Dad always said 'If something looks too good to be true, then it probably is'.

I will however be disappointed if in 2015, Lawan does not assume office as the Executive Governor of Kano State. Yes, you read correctly. I said if he does  not become Kano Sate Governor, I'll be disappointed.  He's still a member of the PDP. That alone is enough. PDP does not want that fuel subsidy scam report implemented and a temporal dent in Lawan's reputation is an ideal price to pay. With their usual quid pro quo policy in PDP, the death of that report might just deliver Kano State Government House to Lawan. Believe it or not, that's the Nigeria you and I are citizens of now. Besides, when men like Reuben Abati have shown us very clearly that reputation is as cheap as a sand on a beach in this same country, why then should we be surprised. In the Nigeria of my generation, a good name is worthless next to riches.

Many folks have consistently submitted that Femi Otedola be investigated and prosecuted. Rubbish!

Femi Otedola will not be prosecuted, not because he's a billionaire in a country where many people are overtly above the law, but because in the original script as written and produced by the PDP, jail time was not one of the roles given to the actor called Otedola. Stop wishing!. The closest Femi will come to Ikoyi Prison is his weekly polo pastime at Ikoyi Polo Club.

Even if he did give a bribe to Lawan, he already said he informed security agencies and he was told to 'PLAY ALONG AND GIVE THE REQUESTED BRIBE' and he simply did what a regular law-abiding citizen should do. Its like saying you want to arrest Jack Bauer in 24 for doing undercover work and doing business with terrorists! Another day, another time, Femi will be penciled as Nigeria's hero in this saga and he'll be credited with helping expose gross and unrefined corruption in the Legislature. Those of you who are hung on seeing jail cells should watch MNet Series for reruns of Prison Break.

This is a simple case of the same Nigerian movie but a different cast. Many Farouk Lawans have come and gone and remain extremely wealthy men. Many will come after him as long as we remain in the custody of the PDP. They will come, they will see and they will conquer. Our dear Minister for Information only a few weeks ago told us 'There'll still be corruption in Nigeria, even after Jonathan leaves office'. By inference, he means we should let GEJ do his own and go peacefully, after all, corruption is here to stay.

What then is the solution? A lot of people believe we can 'vote out' PDP at the polls. I find that submission amusing. You can only vote out someone you voted in and I don't need Einstein to tell me that PDP did not legitimately win elections in Nigeria in the past 13 years. As long as voter's cards are only worth a single serve pack of Indomie and a tin of rice at electoral polling stations, elections will remain a farce.

Nigeria needs good men, good leaders, good examples, good education and good health care. The West is ahead of us simply because their forefathers invested in education and sharpened their minds in their formative years. Imagine after 4years of tertiary education and gainful employment, will anyone sell his voter's card for a tin of rice? PDP will prefer to keep Nigerians uneducated, impoverished, hungry and desperate. Those are the ideal ingredients for breeding mercenaries.

Quality and quantitative education via schools built and SOLELY operated by the West, churches and philanthropists will be a good start. It will be a long and arduous process but besides bloody revolution, I can't proffer any other solutions.

In the mean time, we can only plead with the current crop of brigands in power to please tender injustice with mercy. I know there's a pathological obsession to loot but they should please not pilfer and plunder Nigeria into secession.

And to my well meaning more optimistic Christian brothers and sisters, 'No,it is NOT well'.












Follow 'Wole @drwalls28 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is essential to me.

Kindly take a second to drop a comment...

There's also a 'SHARE' button you can use.